Of a plastic bottle
The objectives of the measuring and reverse engineering session is the complete reconstruction of A-Class surfaces of a plastic water bottle and an overall inspection of surfaces.
Packaging manufacturer strived over the recent years in order to identify a device capable of digitize existing model down to the tiniest detail.
3d scanning offers multiple benefits; an inspection report between the acquired data and either a pre existing cad file or the reconstructed one can be generated directly working in Geomagic DesignX on Optical Reveng outputs; the cad data obtained from the reverse engineering, if necessary, can be used to rapidly implement adjustements on the tooling mould or, as a maquette for future drawings; older designs which do not have a digital history, are now available as cad data for future production or cataloguing.
Cronos Dual and Optical RevEng acquire containers to the tiniest detail and ensure a precise edge sharpness.
HOW TO DEAL WITH THE PROBLEM
The task itself do not require a very high resolution, however in order to simplify the reverse engineering process, have sharp edges and a detailed thread area, the choice has fallen on a Cronos Dual 2.0 Mpx, measuring volume of 300 mm. Despite processing a larger data then a basic 1.3 Mpx, a smooth and efficient workflow is guaranteed.
The roto-manipulator TRM010 (provided as an optional) was used to ensure a higher level of automation and the lowest possible user effort.
Due to its complete transparency the plastic bottle has to be mattened with a fine spray powder or lightly painted.
Hardware e Software
Cronos Dual 300 mm 2.0 Mpx
Optical RevEng 2.4
Rotatry manipulator TRM010
1) A thin layer of 3d scan matting powder is applied on the surface of the bottle, the model is then placed on the rotomanipulator, the scan process can now start.
2) Targeting is not required, Optical RevEng registers and merge the pointclouds automatically and, in a second step, process a single polygonal mesh entity.
The manipulator is set on eight steps, a couple of rounds of acquisition is enough to complete the container.
3) 3d Model is imported in 3d systems DesignX for the reverse engineering stages, DesignX is purpose-built for converting 3d scan data into high-quality feature based CAD models, however it helps, also, with organic designs.
4) Geometrical reverse modelling; profiles revolutions rapidly and easily reconstruct the bottle shape with the lowest possible approximation.
5) Geomagic DesignX seamlessly add 3D scanning into your regular design process so you can do more and work faster.
It complements your entire design ecosystem, with native output to any CAD environment.
6) Organic Reverse modelling; freeform silhuettes are imprinted with a simple curves detection and an offset.
The straightforward workflow allowed the complete reverse design of the part at a never-seen before speed.
Product development departments are able to design new models based on 3d captures of older designs, modernize packaging appearance keeping the unmistakable design of the brand itself.
A rapid inspection of surfaces or self-explanatory defects on the 3d data lead to the enhancement of tooling mold as well as the enhancement of productive stages.
Open Technologies would like to thank every partner involved in this project for their highly valuable technical contribution to this case study.